4.06.2012

recipe share: asparagus soup

I mentioned last week that I picked up Cooking from the Garden from the library and that I wanted to work a couple of the recipes into our menu this week.

Last night, we had the asparagus soup and it was so good I had to share the recipe. After a quick google, I found the recipe reproduced in a variety of places and also discovered you can read a large chunk of the book, including this particular recipe, here on google books . (I had no idea google had this feature...I know what I'll be wasting much of my day doing now.)


Here is the {very slightly} modified version that we ate.  I know it doesn't particularly scream out "I'm delicious" but I promise. It is. Also? Your kids will at least give it a shot if you promise them that foul smelling pee is imminent.

Hungry yet?

1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1" pieces
1 medium onion diced
3 cups vegetable broth
2 T butter
2 T flour
1 C milk
1/2 C sour cream

Bring asparagus and onion to a boil in 2 C of broth. Boil until tender, about 12 minutes. Blend mixture until smooth and set aside. Melt butter and stir in flour, salt and pepper. Stir constantly for 2 minutes to prevent mixture from browning. Add remaining broth and stir until boiling. Add sour cream to the asparagus puree until incorporated and then add milk and puree mix to your pan. Stir and bring to temp. Add a squeeze of lemon juice to each bowl.

1 comment:

  1. oh this sounds awesome.
    my general veggie-averse hubby LOVES asparagus. i might need to try this!
    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...