5.01.2013

31 things

I am really, really excited about this project. And I hope some of you will be too!

Some of you are good, no GREAT, at documenting yourselves in your journals and scrapbooks. Me? Not so much. Part of it is wanting to avoid photos of myself and part of it is simply not feeling a real obligation to the thought and consideration that goes into thinking hard about tough/important stuff.

When I stumbled onto this post, I immediately wanted to jump in and get started. Doing this for my kids? That's an entirely different story and just the approach that I needed to motivate me to do it. Right now, my kids don't care about this stuff but someday, they will. Would I love to have these questions answered by my mom? My grandma? You betcha! (And I may just make that first part happen...a blank book with these questions might be just the ticket for my scrapbookaphobic mom!)

I discovered the list a couple of weeks ago but with Mother's Day being in May, I thought it would be a perfect time to tackle it. One prompt a day (I added one of my own to make it 31 in total) to complete the list. My project for May. Some of them frankly scare me a bit but putting it out here like this means I have to follow through, right?

A couple of days ago, I began playing around with some simple typography for each item on the list. I emailed Jenn (who has a gorgeous new baby boy, btw) about sharing the files with my readers. She graciously gave her permission.

These are set up as png files on an 8x8" canvas. Use the files however you wish...recolor, layer over a photo, totally up to you. My plan is to complete each day as a two page spread combining current photos with older ones. I'm using this set of 8x8" templates for the opposite side of each spread. Once I'm done, I'll print it at Blurb or Shutterfly.

Here is what day one looks like. Coming up with 20 things is not easy. They aren't all original or groundbreaking but they are mine. Such a good exercise for examining yourself.


I plan to share a week's worth of prompts at a time and I'll be sharing my own pages here and there (though I plan to complete a prompt each day, I'm not sure it will end up in digital format each day.)

Week one prompts look like this:

Interested in playing along? Please? Download week one here. And go and leave Jenn some love as well!

12 comments:

  1. eek! i absolutely love the word art you created. i wish i had time to play along. i'm definitely downloading it and i'll try and work it in to scrapping this month. how cool would a little mini-album of the month be. sigh i need more hours in the day. as always you my dear are just stunning! love your list! is it selfish of me to say i want the word art on the right as well? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea Erica and I love the first prompt! Count me in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, Erica! I haven't done any pages about myself in a long time. I have an unfinished album that's supposed to be about me and it needs some updating. I do think I will play along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea and your prompts. Im so gonna try it ;) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so awesome! I'm going to try it too.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! I'm definitely going to use some and incorporate them into my "This Is Me' Album. Babz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I want to do this but it terrifies me and I'm a day behind already... Can I just send you the words and you can make them look all pretty?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Visiting from Baby Making Machine. Hoping to make a book for my girls using your templates. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:31 PM

    I love this idea- thanks for sharing the prompts in pretty format :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great! I found her blog via that post on Pinterest. It seemed like a good idea, but I wanted a different way to go about it so I didn't do it. This is great and the perfect idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these graphics but how do you use them?? I have Photoshop but can't figure out to use these graphics as an overlay on top of one of my photos. Can you help me with that? Maybe put together a little tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see what I can do in the next few days, Holly :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...